Saturday, September 16, 2006

Naming Stances

I wrote this in my journal on Monday, February 13, 2006.

I’m supposed to study for a psychology test but I want to get this out of my system. Karate was really fun today. I loved it.

Like always, we started with the Dojo Kun. Then, we went Moving Attack three times. As we were going through the exercise, Sensei asked us what the names of the long and short stances were. I was the only one who answered. The short stance is sanchin dachi and the long stance is z something (zenkutsu dachi). (At that time, I didn’t know how to pronounce it let alone spell it.) Sensei was so impressed that he made everyone clap both times that I answered.

It’s funny that I even remembered those names. Saturday night, I was looking through karateforus.com and there was a thread on stances. They were using the real names for the stances. I figured out which stance went to which name by searching in the Google search engine under images so I can see what each stance looked like. Later, Sensei us what was the name of the short stance. Again, I was the only one who answered. Then, Sensei said that I had a good memory.

After going through Moving Attack with Sensei, he had us go through it by ourselves. He didn’t help us and we couldn’t look at our neighbor for help. When we finished, Sensei said that I took first place in a tournament. They clapped for me and I had a huge smile on my face. I took first place because I practice at home. Then, we practiced Fukukata Dai San two times. On the second time, we had to start over because I messed up. Sensei and Captain David makes us start over when somebody messes up sometimes.

Then, Sensei had Emily demonstrate Gekisai Dai Ichi. After that, he had Emily and Chris go to another part of the gym to practice Saifa. Captain David led us through Gekisai Dai Ichi around five times. Like always, Sensei came over to help teach and correct. Then, Captain David made us practice the kata all by ourselves. Therefore, I didn’t know where to go or what to do in some parts. Captain David helped me one third of the time. Ryan had as much trouble as me. I tried to watch Naomi, but she went too fast.

After practicing for ten min, Sensei had each of us get up in front of class to do Gekisai Dai Ichi. Luckily, I got to watch four people and was the last one to perform because that helped me memorize it. As I was running up to do it because it was my turn, Sensei asked me if I was a happy girl. I said that I am. I think he asked me that because I’m smiling all the time in there. Karate makes me so happy.

When I was performing, I kiaied weakly at one point in the kata and Sensei told me to do it louder. I did and he laughed. I don’t know why he laughed. I kiaied weakly because I’m so used to doing that when I practice by myself. I wasn’t the best at performing Gekisai Dai Ichi. I could have done much better. After me, Emily and Chris did Saifa. Then, we ended with Dojo Kun. After that, Sensei told us not to buy anything for our girlfriends or boyfriends for Valentines Day because it’s a waste of money if we break up with them.

I’m going to the dojo tomorrow. I wish I could be there for the whole thing. But noooo, I have a test to take and group afterwards.

No comments: