Sunday, February 15, 2009

E-mailing Dr. Clark

Hi Dr Clark,

I've been following your blog for a couple months now. I found it because I want to be a chiropractic neurologist. I'm emailing you because I want some suggestions that can help me through school. When I was seven years old, I was diagnosed with ADD. I was put on Ritalin and was on it off and on all the way through high school. I used it my first year of college. After that, I got off of it because I didn't like how it changed my personality by making me quieter. When I was 11 years old, I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism. A few months ago that diagnosis changed into Asperger's Syndrome.

I can read faces and somewhat with body language. However, I know that some people are way better at reading body language than me. I do very well socially because I like and enjoy being around and communicating with people. I do get lonely if I don't talk to people for long periods of time. I like to be blunt and direct about things. I have been known to be too trusting with people. Sometimes, I tend to take things literally. My senses aren't whacked out like other Aspies. I'm picky about clothes and how comfortable they are. I love playing with things that are in my hands. I cannot sit still because I always have to be moving some part of my body. Music helps me to concentrate especially with homework. I have obsessions that can get me in trouble by distracting me from my homework.

One thing that I really don't like about myself is that I'm really, really slow. I've always been slow since I was a little kid. I would like some suggestions to help speed up my mental processing. Right now, I’m taking Organic Chemistry. I'm pretty slow at it because I'm not good with abstract things. Math and chemistry are my hardest subjects for me to grasp. I think in pictures and words. Sometimes, I have trouble explaining things because I'm seeing the picture or concept in my head and have trouble describing in words. I definitely think by associations. I have a really high reading comprehension and good memory. It just takes me forever to comprehend subjects like O-chem. Once I understand it, I remember it and do well on tests.

When I went to a community college, I took a lesser workload so I can get better grades. It was based on quarters so I took 10 credits while the majority of students took 15. Now, I'm going to Brigham Young University which is much harder than the community college. Now, I'm technically a part time student but I feel like a full time student because of O-chem. I'm majoring in Neuroscience because I want to be a chiropractic neurologist and it will be very applicable. I want to be one because I want to help people like me with Asperger's and ADD while helping myself too. I know that conventional medicine doesn't always work. Many people say that Autism cannot be cured. I thought that too. I still don't know if I can be cured. However, with the help of my Brimhall certified chiropractor, my balanced and coordination improved. I never thought that my balance would improve at all because of the hours I have put into karate which have kicks in the training.

I know that there are theories that mercury causes Autism. My chiropractor does nutritional assessments and said that the mercury in my body is part of the cause of my acne breakouts. So, right now I'm taking a HomeoPathic Combination of Total Mercury so I can get it out of my system. Hopefully, that will speed up my brain. I've been avoiding anything hydrogenated and that has MSG in it. What do you think about High Fructose Corn Syrup? Anyway, I still have a little hydrogenated foods everyday because my roommates like to give me food that tastes good. I just don't buy anything that's hydrogenated and has MSG. I've been taking other nutritional supplements that my chiropractor has suggested that I should take to strengthen certain organs in my body.

It would be really nice to go to a chiropractic neurologist that treats Asperger's Syndrome, however; I don't think there's anyone near Provo, Utah. So, you are the best next option because you seem really open for people to e-mail you on your blog. I would just like to do better in school so I can take an increased workload while getting A's or at least B's. I just want to be prepared for chiropractic school too because the workload is intense. I would like to be able to handle it with out my grades dropping.

Thanks,

Lizzie

No comments: