Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My little magnet

Elizabeth bought a bipolar magnet for $20 from her chiropractor to protect her from electronic devises (EMF) that create nerve flow interference. I'm going to quote a paper that my chiropractor gave me to understand the causes of nerve flow interference. EMF is one out of six. It's (Electromagnetic Sensitivities) is number 2 on the priory list for my body. "Electromotive forces from devices like computer screens, hair dryers, cell phones, TV's ect act upon some people in a way that causes NFI to show up in their nerve system. As an analogy, the body "talks" back and forth between the brain and its' body cells sing energy that is like electricity, but electrical devices also emit energy that can "talk" to the human body. Like two people trying to talk to each other at the same time, interruption and confusion results. NFI results." I need to ask how the little, flat magnet protects my whole body. If I didn't know what it was, I would probably throw it away or think it's worth about one to five dollars. I always have to keep it on me, even when I'm sleeping. Right now, I have it on my hip underneath my underpants. The receptionist keeps hers in a zipped locked baggy on her side under her bra.

My chiropractor did some muscle testing to see where my balance and coordination on the scale from 1 to 1000 today. When I first started seeing him, it was around 490. Now it's at 778. I've been going to my chiropractor for almost a month now. When muscle testing, he asked me if I had me cell phone on me when he pushed down on my arm. I had to take it off because it makes me weaker. Then, he thumped my chest to reset my meridian system. He told my system to forget all of the substance sensitivities that I have experienced the last 12 months. Then, he cold lasered all over my body including the top and bottom of my feet and hands. I told him about me leaving in two weeks. He congratulated me and said that my balance might improve while on my mission. The told the story of an old guy went on his mission with his wife. Before the mission, he had these cancerous tumors all over his body. When he was getting ready to go, they went away. For two years, they didn't appear at all. When he came back, they came back and he died shortly afterward. From what I'm experiencing from myself, I'm thinking about being a chiropractor now because no doctors could improve my balance and coordination, probably because they don't even know that one can do that.

I posted this comment on Martial Views today. I want to include this post because I wrote a lot and I haven't posted much about karate.

"Karate is simply not about ground techniques and never has been." I totally disagree with that. I know that most karate schools just teach standup fighting and some takedowns. However, the very good karate schools teach their students how to grapple. Most karate schools don't teach what MMA teaches. Most karate (TMA) schools can't defend themselves from street fights because their opponents are too unpredictable. Most karateka who fight in tournaments and people to fight in the ring (UFC) cannot defend themselves because sports teaches them very bad habits and to go by the rules. There are no rules in a street fight. Most karate schools, just focus on kata and bunkai, that’s it. My first school was like that and I knew I couldn't defend myself. Good karate schools have some type of MMA training to teach how to defend themselves from getting attacked on the street.

I train in Goju-Ryu. Every Tuesday night, I go to our sparring and grappling class. We are taught combinations with punching and kicking with standup. We go through drills with our partners, like parrying a jab, stepping in, and jabbing them in the face. Some days, we work on takedowns and throws. Most karateka won't know how to react if someone actually grabs their legs for a takedown. Probably, they won't know how to sprawl right away and keep their weight on their opponent's head and shoulders. No offense, but you would get your butt handed to you if you went down to the ground with a proficient grappler no matter how good you are at standup. Most likely you would be taken to the ground, like that Kung Fu guy. That jujitsu guy was under control of that Kung Fu guy the whole match. He could have ended the match in a minute or two when they went on the ground. However, he wanted to work on the Kung Fu guy for a little while.

I love grappling because it's where I'm not limited to my bad balance and coordination. I can feel the openings instead of seeing them. From learning how to spar and grapple, I’m much better prepared to defend myself from a street fight. With sparring, I learn how to take the punches and kicks without getting overly focused on the pain.

If you were taught how to fight dirty and not tournament fighting, I'm sure that you can defend yourself from the average Joe. I'm sure that you can defend from that big round punch. However, how do you defend yourself from the guy who tries to football tackle you? What if he succeeds to throw you on the ground and get on top on your chest throwing all kinds of punches? How would you defend and get out of that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lizzie,

What's an 'average' score on the balance and coordination test, and what is considered 'excellent'? Do people routinely score 1000, or is that practically unattainable?

Also, we've been touching on the MMA+Karate topic in an interview with George Alexander I did recently, check it out if you get a chance!

Lizzie Woolley said...

I don't know. I have to ask my chiropractor. Thanks for visiting my blog. I will visit it yours soon.